Secure Page; only available with authenticated access (either on CWSL network or by username and password off of network).
Please close this window when finished reading this page.
Sending Email Messages to the Students via the
To facilitate email communication with California Western student body, Information Technology
maintains student email announcement lists that allow authorized
faculty and staff to send email messages to students.
Because these lists are secured from unauthorized use, please contact the IT
HelpDesk to request access. Staff members should ask their department heads or
supervisors to request access on their behalf.
However, a few guidelines
should be considered prior to sending a message to large
numbers of students. Students are receiving an ever-increasing volume of email from CWSL staff and faculty, making it
increasingly difficult for them to manage their email.
Important: all student announcement lists are secured to allow
only authorized individuals to send messages to the list. To request this
authorization, please have your department head send a request to Help Desk and
let us know which list(s) you need to post messages to.
Before sending your first message to any of the student announcement lists,
please review the following guidelines.
- Include a clear, concise subject for each and every message sent to the lists.
- Send event announcements at least 24 hours in advance of the event.
- Take time to proofread and spell-check your message thoroughly before sending.
- Include as much information as possible in the body of the message. Avoid
attaching files to messages sent to any of the student email lists. If a separate file is absolutely necessary, put the file on our web site then include a hyperlink (a URL) to the file in your message. Please
contact for instructions on how to
save your file to the website then include the URL in your message.
- Save Word or WordPerfect files as
Adobe PDF files. The PDF format is far more universal,
and results in a smaller and more efficient file. The Adobe Reader is a freely
downloadable and distributable. Contact Information Technology if you need software
for saving documents to the PDF format.
If you have any questions regarding the above guidelines, or if you need the Adobe PDF Writer installed on your computer, please send an email message to
- Send messages with attachments. If a separate file is necessary, save
the file to your departmental web site, or upload the file to a transfer service
site. Provide a link to the file in your message.
- Send event announcements right before the event occurs! Most students will not see the message in time.
- Send “frivolous” or trivial announcement messages. Students receive a large amount of email from staff and faculty. Please be very judicious about each and every message sent to the student email lists.
Plan ahead, and contact Student Services if you would like an event announcement
to be included in the Weekly Events Calendar message sent to students each week.
Send Word or WordPerfect documents as an attachment or as link. If a separate
file is unavoidable, i.e. if you are unable to “copy and paste” the information
into the body of the message, you should convert your document to the PDF
format, and upload it to your departmental web site.
The student announcement list addresses are as follows: